Here is the symmetrical order of the sections in the dissertation format, these sections will appear in the dissertation as:
- Dissertation abstract
- Dissertation introduction
- Dissertation conclusions
But in general this order will not be followed, when you will be writing the dissertation’s first draft. Actually, the reason behind this is that you will write the dissertation sections turn by turn, as soon as you will be done with each section.
The dissertation introduction and dissertation abstract are the first part of the dissertation so it is fair enough to spend a great deal of time on these sections. but hold on for a second. Are you going to start your dissertation from here? No! these might be the sections you will write at the very end.
Mostly it is renowned as a pro tip to write both the dissertation introduction and dissertation abstract at the end of the dissertation. This is due to that by the very end of the research you will be familiar with the pros, cons and almost all the aspects and scope of your research. so when you will introduce your dissertation by keeping all the aspects in mind, then it will give you a sure head start. Research is a process in which the ideas evolve and morph readily. At the very first when you will be proposing the dissertation you must not be aware of all the out comings of the research. So as soon as you will be done with your research, you can introduce, summarize and conclude it very well. This will also help you in limiting the scope of the dissertation. For instance, if your hopes were so high in achieving certain parameters of the research, and due to some factors you fail to achieve all then, you can better limit the scope of your project in the dissertation introduction.
Writing the dissertation introduction at the end also keeps a check that all the aspects which are worth considering are written in the dissertation introduction and dissertation abstract.
This is a time-saving tool too. If you write the dissertation introduction and dissertation abstract first, then you have to go back again to edit or exempt certain details from both the sections. So keep yourself at comfort and avoid this editing and re-editing headaches.
In the following sections, we will be looking in detail about the tips and tricks for writing each of three integral parts. The sections also focus on highlighting some of the most common mistakes made by the students while writing the dissertation introduction, dissertation conclusion, and dissertation abstract.
This article will greatly help in evaluating the mistakes and tips to overcome these mistakes. The article mainly focusses on the three most crucial section of the dissertation listed above. The sequence of the article will be:
- Brief introduction of the dissertation introduction, dissertation conclusion and dissertation abstract.
- What is the significance of the dissertation introduction, dissertation conclusion and dissertation abstract?
- Goals you have to achieve while writing dissertation introduction, dissertation conclusion and dissertation abstract.
- How to write the dissertation introduction, dissertation conclusion and dissertation abstract?
- Tips and tricks for writing the dissertation introduction, dissertation conclusion and dissertation abstract.
So follow the article for detailed overview of each section.
Although this part will appear in the start this might be the part you will be writing after completing the whole dissertation. The introduction of the dissertation should encompass the following parameters.
Writing the dissertation introduction is the initial stage of the dissertation process. Dissertation introduction is also given in the dissertation proposal. Although this is not the in-detail overview. In the dissertation proposal, only a brief introduction of the dissertation is given. The main points are discussed only and the expectations from the project research are discussed. The in detail overview of the dissertation introduction is given later.
This is a good approach to write the introduction at the end of the dissertation because, until the end of the dissertation, you must be familiar with all the aspects of the research. The scope of the research is also defined till the end. Thus you can cover and introduce your dissertation well.
This is also a pro tip to write the first draft of the dissertation introduction, redrafting is the technique to ace the introduction. Your thoughts evolve greatly while you draft your dissertation. So keep a track on the evolution of the thoughts and draft the writings continuously.
Basically, in the dissertation introduction, we have to discuss the problem statement along with the overview of the dissertation.
Why is it important to write the dissertation introduction?
Basically, this is a brief recap of the dissertation. You can commercialize your dissertation from its introduction. The credibility of the introduction section determines the success of the whole dissertation. This is the point where you can catch the attention of the reader. This also gives an overview of the whole dissertation. So you can say it like a more detailed version of the abstract. If any researcher wants to proceed with your research, he will check the relevance of your dissertation by the introduction section. a well written “dissertation introduction” determines both the scientific and the practical relevance of the dissertation.
Goals to achieve in the dissertation conclusion section:
Before discussing the actual writing procedure. First, take an overview of all the goals or parameters you are going to achieve in the dissertation introduction.
The goals of the dissertation introduction are:
- It should provide background knowledge of the dissertation. This should be a short review of the literature review you have studied.
- It should be so well written that it should clarify all the context of the dissertation readily.
- It should be written in a simple language so that the layman can also get an idea about the dissertation and the research.
- Only introduce the dissertation by highlighting all the aims and objectives you are going to achieve in the dissertation.
How to write the dissertation introduction?
There is no concrete parameter in which you have to structure your dissertation introduction. You can be a variant with this section. the best approach is to follow the format given by you by your department. The introduction constitutes about 7% of the total dissertation. If we keep the writing process simple then, the introduction is not more than writing the headings and sub-headings of all the dissertation. If you are going to use the particular terminology or more precisely the “jargon” in the introduction, then don’t forget to append the terms in the appendix. The pro tip is to add the value of your research in this section. advocate your stance and choices. Dedicate a separate section for this task and try to convince the reader that your choice is valid.
Some tips for writing the outclass dissertation introduction:
- The opening sentences should be eye-catching so that your dissertation can capture readers’ attention at the very first place.
- Don’t make it extensive, by dragging it so long. This will reduce the brevity and will lose the attention of the reader. Obviously, the reader is consulting the introduction section for getting an overall idea of the dissertation in a quick manner. So write the dissertation introduction as the “preface” of the novel. Keep it short but interesting.
- Don’t compromise on the reliability of the dissertation in wake of making it interesting for the reader. State all the facts as they are. Ensure that every single fact described is 100% authentic.
- Avoid verbosity in the dissertation. Keep it as simple as you can. The dissertation introduction is the doorway to the dissertation for the reader. To ensure an easy pass from this point.
- Remember that this is the only introduction of the dissertation. Don’t discuss any outcomes or the result of the dissertation. Just introduce the overall idea of the dissertation.
- The dissertation introduction is not a one-night job, so don’t leave it as a last minute task. Although you are going it to write it in the last it requires you a lot of time, consideration and effort.
Dissertation conclusion is an integral part of the dissertation. The extensive academic writings are always followed by a conclusion section. that readily helps the reader to evaluate the result of the whole research. However, it can be trickier to write a conclusion. You need to be a bit vigilant, for extracting the main concluding points. The conclusion section should stick to the main topic, it should be discussed in the light of the problem statement and should justify the validation of the chosen methods, the dissertation conclusion should be coherent to the above-represented sections and should not get off the tangent.
Why is it important to write the dissertation conclusion section?
Dissertation results are often stated and discussed separately. Dissertation conclusion section is important to discuss all the aspects of the findings. So basically in this section, you are going to compare the actual results of your dissertation research with them, hopes and expectations, you have written in the dissertation introduction section. all the essay type academic writings often end with the “conclusion” section.
Goals to achieve in dissertation conclusion section:
- Your conclusion should come up to the level that it achieves the following parameters:
- It should be written in such a way that it acts as the “reminder notes” for each dissertation section.
- It should incorporate the “recommendation” section. the recommendations emphasize on the practical implications of the dissertation and the research. Furthermore, it can guide the reader about the principles or rules followed while carrying out the dissertations. This increases the validity and reliability of the dissertation. The recommendations in the conclusion help the reader to proceed with the research further.
- It should open avenues for further research. Due to the ever advancing knowledge, it is really impossible to cover a whole domain in the single dissertation. So it is also a positive gesture to end the dissertation with the question (potentially probable to arise) in the dissertation conclusion section. this will provide an opportunity to other researchers to brainstorm and proceed the further research but keep it in mind the question that has been asked in the dissertation conclusion should not be the “problem statement”.
How to write the dissertation conclusion?
Often the dissertation conclusion section starts with an opening paragraph which describes the summary of the background knowledge. You might think about why it is important? if anyone familiar with your research methodology wants to see the result acquired through this. He/she will definitely consult the conclusion section only. So it is always a safe play to write an introductory opening paragraph. Thus he/she can build a connection with the previous dissertation.
You can also again throw light on the significance of your research. When you will elaborate on the significance of the dissertation, then you will be eventually heightening its impact. Afterward, the conclusions will be more meaningful for the readers.
As scientific knowledge builds on the previous researches. So “reproducibility” of the dissertation is the key feature among the success parameters. You can make your dissertation reproducible by adding the recommendations for future researches. If the dissertation is practicable for example a business dissertation then it is also a professional gesture to add the practical recommendations, meaning that the practical steps the person has to take in order to implement your research in his/her work.
At last, you can write the concluding paragraph to end the dissertation conclusion section symmetrically.
Some tips for writing the outclass dissertation conclusion:
Following are the top writing tips for acing the dissertation conclusion section:
- All the dissertation topics may not require the conclusion section. for instance, if your dissertation is analytical then it might get difficult to conclude all the analysis in a separate section. so according to your research topic and according to the dissertation format followed by your department or supervisor decides whether you need a separate conclusion section or not. In some dissertation, formats result section is more descriptive in which all the acquired results are stated, but this is the case where you don’t have the need to further elaborate your results.
- The conclusion will be almost the last part of the dissertation. So keep it brief don’t drag it much, because till the conclusion section the reader must be familiar with almost all the dissertation problem statement and dissertation methodology. So don’t give unnecessary details just discuss what is important to mention.
- As stated above the dissertation section should be concise. Brevity is the parameter where the academic results and finding are judged but don’t compromise on the descriptiveness of the concluded results. Mention all the important stuff.
- Don’t inculcate new points and concepts in the conclusion section. keep it in mind that you are concluding what you have already said/written. So try to build a connection of the dissertation conclusion section with other sections of the dissertation.
- Let your argument stand for you. Be humble while writing the dissertation conclusion. Don’t try to impose your thoughts or findings on the user. Instead, use strong arguments. Your arguments are your weapons. Give such strong arguments that the reader gets convinced and should not leave with any other proposition.
- Avoid grammatical errors in the dissertation. This might reduce the credibility of your dissertation. The dissertation conclusion section should be written in the “present perfect “tense.
- Be vigilant with the use of the word “conclusion”. In the main dissertation, the body doesn’t use the word “conclusion” often, this will leave the impact that you are giving the arguments, results and concluding them simultaneously. This will lessen the impact of the separate dissertation conclusion section.
a dissertation abstract is the short summary of the whole dissertation. It gives the reader an overview of the research, methodology, and objectives of the research. Very often the abstract of the dissertation gets confused with the “dissertation introduction” by the students. Just keep the nuance clear. A dissertation abstract is the short summary of all the headings of the dissertation, while the dissertation introduction is the more explanatory overview of the dissertation.
Why it is important to write the dissertation abstract?
It is an extremely integral part of the dissertation as it is used for:
- Selection Purposes
- Indexing purposes
- Submitting the dissertations for the conferences and journals
- Sending applications for requesting monetary research grants.
Goals you have to achieve while writing the dissertation abstract:
Following are the goals you must keep in mind while writing the dissertation abstract:
- It should be simple and brief.
- It should be attention seeking.
- It should give a descriptive overview of the literature review, problem statement, methodology, results, and findings.
How to write the dissertation abstract?
The abstract is the opening of the dissertation. The idiom “first impression is the last impression” is quite valid in this case. So if you have to qualify the first round it is quite justified to analyze and write the abstract critically.
The dissertation abstract includes the following parts:
It starts with an overview of background knowledge. You have to relate to the literature review. Obviously, you will start with the referencing to the problem statement. Although the literature review itself is extensive knowledge, you have to give a brief overview. This will help the reader to evaluate thoughts with the progress in the subject.
You can also elaborate on the significance of your “dissertation title”. This will create an impact on the reader. All you have to do is to elaborate that why you found the topic significant enough, to carry research on it.
Then come toward your “dissertation hypothesis”. It is integral to explain the initial hypothesis. After discussing the hypothesis refer to the methodology, give a brief review of your chosen methodology.
Then discuss the objectives, aims and hopes from your dissertation. This will help you later to compare them with the actual findings. Effective research comes up to the expectations, that the researcher initially had.
Then come towards the result and the findings of the research. Don’t go in much detail while writing the dissertation abstract. Keep it in mind that you are writing a short summary after all. Especially focus on the conclusion section. don’t elaborate on the results in the dissertation abstract, keep it brief so that you can state them later in the dissertation conclusion section.
Tips for writing the outstanding dissertation abstract:
- Following are some tips for writing the effective dissertation abstract:
- Write the dissertation abstract in the end. First, complete the rest of the dissertation. When you will be done shortlist the points from each section of the dissertation. Try to extract all the important points from each section. then make an outline of all these important points. From the outline make the first draft of the dissertation abstract.
- Must consult the dissertation format given to you, the dissertation abstract may have different requirements depending upon the discipline. For instance, if you are carrying a scientific dissertation then discuss the methodology, result, and findings. However social sciences dissertation may require some additional parameters like the hypothesis, the supporting theories and conclusions derived on the basis of your argument.
- As this is going to be the first part interacting with the reader so keep this in mind, and don’t rely on the first written abstract. Prepare the first copy by making sentences from the outline. Give it a unbias read and edit it for further detailing.
- Avoid too much jargon in the dissertation abstract. Keep it simple for you. Use simple but descriptive language so that a layman can equally get assistance from your dissertation.
- If any supervisor, company or researcher is interested in your dissertation, then obviously he will not be going to read the whole dissertation. The assessment will be based on the dissertation abstract. If he/she will find it useful or relevant only then he or she will go through your whole dissertation so, write the abstract in such an attractive way that it clears the first filtering round.