The Dissertation title is the most crucial aspect I guess. This is the very first feature of your dissertation that is going to interact with the reader. So this is the right moment for setting the “first impression”.
Are you struggling with the dissertation title? So don’t panic. You are a part of the vast graduate world which eventually get perplexed when it comes to the selection of “dissertation title”. Stumbling on, at this point is justified in my viewpoint. Just a dissertation title itself alone demands a number of features. Being the central focus point, it has some right to make you ruminate over it.
The article solely concentrates on tips you should follow while writing your dissertation title and what are the must-haves of your title.
if you are a beginner it’s a way better to understand the general scheme of a dissertation. You can seek help from the article are you up to writing a dissertation? Because a good title is the reflection of the whole dissertation.
Students often regard dissertation title as the mind-consuming facet of the whole dissertation. You have already spent a year or more on your research so when you come at this point patiently select an apt title that should do “justice” to your hard work. Unfortunately, still in the 21st century there lies cognitive biasing toward the idiom “a book is judged by its cover”. Your title is just like product label. So the safe play would be some brain-storming over the title.
You might find this heading a little distracted from the mainstream. Actually the title you choose not only mirrors the dissertation but it also depicts the personality of the writer. The dissertation writing style tells the reader about your writing style but the aesthetics of your personality are unveiled by the title you choose.
Now coming towards the qualities your title should have:
Qualities of an influential dissertation title:
• It should be concise
• It should be descriptive in its context
• It should be captivating
• It should have some stand-out feature than the other dissertations of the same genre.
In short, it should answer
Of your research.
Tips for writing an influential dissertation title:
• The apt title should mirror the whole dissertation features. Obviously the word limit is so small and you have to say a lot. The key features that should be present in the title are:
A. A bit refers to the Problem statement you are addressing or at least the hypothesis on which your research is lying.
B. The dissertation methodology you have chosen.
“A quantitative analysis of study behaviors that can boost memory” can be an aptly written title.
Here you have given the idea to the reader that you have used “qualitative mode” of research.
C. The data acquiring mode.
“analysis of the spirituality extent in the undergraduate students using primary data”
this title gives the idea to the reader that you have carried out the research by using primary data sources. Not only it is descriptive but also it is somewhat professional rather using the phrases.
……by conducting interviews or filling questionnaires.
D. You can also add the name of the data analysis technique you have opted.
• Keep your title brief and concise. Brevity is the key feature. You have to say a lot by just using 10 to 12 words at maximum. But you can’t afford to achieve brevity at the expense of descriptiveness. So a good title is balanced between verbosity and brevity.
• Your dissertation title should be eye-catching. Attractiveness will be “jewel in the crown” for your dissertation. The databases and libraries have thousands of books and dissertations cover a single topic. So, a reader seeking help for his subject will definitely go for the one with the captivating title.
• Avoid jargon in the title. Keep it simple so that the layman can even find the title equally helping and understandable. The verbosity, jargon and the use of abbreviation can delimit the credibility of the title.
• Avoid the use of abbreviations.
• Don’t go for a “mysterious” sort of title. Your title should be contextual and well elaborative that the reader should aptly get the threshold idea about your dissertation.
• Avoid any offensive words in the title. Don’t use any such title which is humiliating any social group. Try to use general facts rather than specifically targeting at a social community.
• As previously stated that the article depicts the aesthetic sense but don’t indulge yourself in too much creativity that eventually end misleading your reader. Your dissertation title should be so descriptive that anyone confronting the same problem statement should eventually end up with your dissertation, upon searching.
• The punctuation marks can be life saviors for you. Colon (:) for instance, is widely used by writers. If your dissertation has two different aspects, then the colon choice will be best for you. By the use of two phrases (depicting the two different facets) separated by a colon, you can conclude whole your dissertation.
Like in the title stated below:
“Islam and secularism: how a university student can negotiate to avoid religious discrepancies at the campus.”
Where to get a start?
Although a good dissertation title only, will not help you to achieve a straight A+, but nevertheless it can help you to achieve a great impression. If you ruminate over the title for a day or two-only for the sake of your research for which you have burned your midnight oil- is worth time giving.
While thinking over the title, grab a cup of coffee for you and sit in a comfortable place answer all the what? How? And why? Of your dissertation. Jot down all the key-point you want to highlight. Make a title out of it. No matter how long it is, then start the omitting task. Try to replace the phrases with descriptive words. Make three to four titles. You can ask your classmates or even can get the guidance from your course convener or supervisor